Sunday, November 15th- Worship on LiveStream at 9:30am
THINK: Is It Necessary? One Step Towards Wisdom
Rev. Dr. Jonathan Jeffries
The words we speak day in and day are powerful. They can build up or tear down. It is important to discern the right things to say and/or the right time to be silent as we navigate this journey of life and faith. This week we will continue to reflect on Thinking before we speak as we ponder the question – Are our words necessary?
The scriptures teach us that words hold power. As we seek to grow by sharing the good news through all the world we need to consider the power of our words. As we look around we see the impact words can have from media personalities, celebrities, politicians and others with clout and power. Scripture teaches that with our tongues we can dole out great blessing or great pain and destruction. All of us have said something we regret, and we have probably spoken words in a way we regret. And yet, our words can have a great impact on our relationships and as we strive to build up God’s Kingdom. In this series, we will use the acronym THINK to reflect on our words and discover how we can be at our best when it comes to using our tongues to be Christian witnesses in our world. The key to doing this is to ‘Think Before You Speak.’
**Remember there is a time change this weekend**
Highlights This Week:
- Christmas is not your birthday kicks off this week
- Eventbrite for December and Christmas Eve is Open
- Advent Wreath Reading Signups are Live
- Hanging of the Greens help needed
At A Glance:
- Sunday 11/15 – Rise Against Hunger (after worship)
- Thursday 11/19 – JOY Group Zoom
- Saturday 11/21 – Student Ministries Trip to Chestnut Ridge
- Sunday 11/22 – Last Sunday of the THINK series
- Monday 11/23 – Wednesday 11/25 – Hanging of the Greens help needed
- Thursday 11/26 and Friday 11/27 – Office Closed for Thanksgiving
- Sunday 11/29 – Advent begins!
- Sunday 12/6 – Second Sunday of Advent
- Friday 12/11 – Charlie Brown Christmas Movie Night
- Sunday 12/13 – Third Sunday of Advent, Handbells in Worship
- Sunday 12/20 – Fourth Sunday of Advent
- Thursday 12/24 – Christmas Eve Worship at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 11pm
Worship On Campus or Online
We’re excited to have you on campus! Reserve seats for indoor worship online anytime at http://asburyraleigh.eventbrite.comAll services are posted through November! If you need help, e-mail email@example.com.
- 8:30am Outdoor Worship in the Amphitheatre – we can seat over 100 with social distancing. Abbreviated service with 2 praise songs and a sermon.
- 9:30am Contemporary – Indoor and LiveStream – Praise Band with 4-5 songs and Sermon – Kids Ministry Starts in November!
- 11am Traditional – Indoor and posted to YouTube – Piano, Anthems, Hymns, Children’s Time, and Sermon
Asbury Church challenges our families to give a gift to God’s Kingdom that matches what we spend on gifts for our families this Christmas. These donations help to fund various missions around the world. Are you ready to be a part? We already have $6,200 of our $78,000 goal!
Gift of Thanks to Staff
Thank you for faithfully supporting the ministries and staff of Asbury. Your church leaders would like to recognize our staff, who live out our mission every day. We would like to celebrate their ministry and bless our staff during the Christmas holiday. To contribute, use “staff gift” in the memo of your check and place in the offering box or give online at https://ppay.co/7w0NrkJWzE0. We also hope you will consider sending a note of appreciation to our staff. Thank you from the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Kids Ministry is BACK on Sunday Mornings!
We are excited to begin our staggered approach to in person Kid’s ministry at Asbury. We will have in person services for Elementary aged kids only (K – 5th grade). We be requiring pre-registration through the Eventbrite site. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up to Light the Advent Wreath in Worship Help us celebrate the season by leading the advent lighting in worship at 9:30am or 11am worship
Sign up online or contact Pastor Jen with questions.
Hanging of the Greens Help us prepare for the Advent season! Lori Reedy and Sharon Moore would love your help as we decorate our lobbies and worship spaces on Nov 23-25. During Advent we also need folks to help care for poinsettias. If you’d like to help, please contact Lori Reedy at email@example.com or 919-906-5580.
Mark your calendars for our December Fellowship Night on December 11th from 5 to 7pm. We’re coming together for a film, fun, fellowship, and food-for-a-cause with “And Also with ‘Cue!”
We will have a food truck benefiting a great cause (see below!), games for the kids, a scavenger hunt, a viewing of A Charlie Brown Christmas, and much more. We hope that you will come, dress for the weather, and be sure to wear our masks for the safety of ourselves and others. Bring a chair and be ready for an evening of socially distant community engagement and fun!
Christmas 2020 will look unlike any other Christmas we’ve experienced.Here at Asbury Church, we have a place for you to worship safely this year.Schedule for Christmas Eve:
- 2pm – Indoor Traditional Worship (South Building)
- 4pm – Outdoor and Unplugged Worship with Children’s Sermon (Amphitheatre)
- 6pm – Indoor Contemporary Worship (North Building and on the LiveStream)
- 11pm – Indoor Traditional Worship (South Building)
For the safety of all, indoor worship services require pre-registration through Eventbrite. Seats will be in pods by family size and masks will be required the entire time while indoors. Outdoor worship does not require pre-registration and masks are only required while directly interacting or speaking with those outside of your family.
Would you like to get prayer concerns as they happen throughout the week? Our Prayer Partners Email List is a list of members of the Asbury Community who wish to be sent prayer concerns as they occur throughout the week. This is a separate list that will get emails as needed throughout the week to be in prayer as concerns arise. You can click to join this list on our website.